A Visit to St. Augustine: The Oldest City in the US

Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine
Bonjour à tout le monde!

Last Saturday, the AFLI crew went to St. Augustine, the oldest city in the U.S. Part field-trip, part beach-trip, that Saturday was somehow exactly what I needed. Crowding onto a coach, we queued up the music, and made the journey to Florida's eastern coast.

Founded in 1565 by the Spanish, the city is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the continental U.S. Save for a beautiful old basilica and a very cool museum detailing the region's history, most of the town was overcrowded with tourists and gimmicky beyond measure. From ads for ghost tours to the prolific presence of stands selling Dole Whip and gourmet popsicles, the whole place seemed almost like Disneyland. It all just rang a little too false. The beach, however, was another matter.

Born and raised in California, this was my very first time in East Coast waters. The beach was much less beautiful, but so much warmer than what I knew. I spent most of the afternoon wading in the warm, shallow water, marveling at the small, occasional waves that would remind this was, indeed, the ocean. Drifting along, the salty water was such a sweet respite from the relentless blaze of the sun. Although the water was warm itself, I felt blissfully cool dipping myself under each wave.

Days like this, I feel so grateful for the sea, and all that it brings. Pulling myself away from it felt almost painful. But back we went, to central Florida: away from the ocean, away from any rivers. Until the next beach visit, a combination of popsicles and our local pool will have to do.

Me & my friend Omar ft. gourmet popsicles


Comments

Popular Posts