Crossing the Road: A Hazard of It's Own

I've always thought that I was someone who had decent street senses; I didn't just walk into oncoming traffic. Turns out I was just well tuned to U.S. traffic laws. Mongolia is a whole other case. Today's topic? Traffic and transportation in Ulaanbaatar.



So, let's recap!

  • Mongolia now has Pizza Huts, which are surprisingly similar to those in the U.S. 
  • I started teaching English classes at Tugeemel Khugjil, an organization that helps disabled individuals. 
  • I got a haircut (they do haircuts here very well) and a manicure (for the first time since I was 10).
  • I started learning some Mongolian. I now know: good morning, hello, goodbye, thank you, 1-10, camel, cat, hot, water, cell phone, pretty, yes, no, the equivalent of "oh my gosh," what did you say?, what's up?, mom, dad, watch, ok, here, and an expression for frustration/annoyance. 
  • There is no hot water at any relatives' homes now. Washing ourselves consists of boiling water on a stove, adding cold water until its a good temperature, and then pouring the water on you as you watch each body part. 
  • Mongolia (and Ulaanbaatar in particular) is having a large measles outbreak. Ella and I got just-in-case shots. 
  • It snow-hailed a few days ago. It's slowly starting to get a lot warmer now, but mornings and evenings are still cold. I think it may be warm enough for shorts and dresses soon. 
  • This far north (and this flat?) the sun sets late. It isn't dark until 10 pm. It was very surreal the first few nights. It is 5 pm? 6 pm? Nope, its 9! 

What's in the future? 
  • Ella, Temka (my uncle), and I will be going on a trip this Sunday. Looks like white water rafting, four wheeling, and huskies? More on that once we go! 
  • Ella and I will be traveling to the countryside in the North for five days in June. Turns out theres a famous lake and reindeers to the north (I'm internally screaming because I didn't even know reindeers were real until a few years ago and they still seem pretty mythical to me). 

What's up with traffic and transportation? 



Have you ever ridden a bike? You swerve in and out of lanes, in and out of the way to avoid accidents, but you rarely stop. That's how I'd describe driving in Mongolia. I imagine it must work well because I haven't witnessed a single accident yet, but as an American used to American driving, it's terrifying.

There seems to be good public transportation infrastructure. There are several bus routes and "micro"s which are minivans repurposed as buses. Taxis are relatively affordable but are unmarked; any driver who wishes to be a taxi driver is. If you raise your hand and they stop for you, they're a taxi. Walking is often most convenient if you're staying is somewhat the same area, but crossing the street can be a hazard.

There are traffic lights, which are somewhat respected. However, often times traffic lights break or theres only a crosswalk for pedestrians. Do not, I repeat, do not, expect a car to stop for you at a crosswalk. It's very much so a game of look both ways then run as fast as you can. But, a few days ago one car did stop for us to our shock and disbelief.

Driving rules dictate that you drive on the right side of the road, but the driver's seat/steering wheel is also on the right side (unlike the left in the U.S.). Most cars are imported from Japan, where driving on the left side (and therefore a wheel on the right) is the norm. There are a huge number of Priuses, I'd say 1/5 or 1/4 of all cars are Priuses. When traffic is slow, drivers form an extra (unmarked) lane along the side. For right turns, you might find yourself taking shortcuts – a common one is driving through corner gas stations. Cars don't always have functioning seat belts and the convention is shoving as many people as you possibly can in the back seat. Yesterday, I rode in a five-person car with eight other people. Granted, three of them were between the ages of 0 and 4. You get used to it pretty quickly.


Comments

Popular Posts